Friday, October 17, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I realize it has been a week since I have updated. Let me tell you...it has been quite a week. We went into the hospital for a fever. Turns out Luke had the Rota virus. We were put in a room in isolation. We were not allowed to leave our room unless we were leaving the hospital. Whenever someone entered the room, they had to be gloved and gowned. It felt like some kind of weird movie. Ben and I had a good time playing the Wii. I am not normally a fan of video games, but the Wii is so much fun. I worked out my stress in the boxing game...I won! Poor baby Luke, he had bad diarrhea, but he was still a smiley little guy. He got his last chemo treatment while we were in the hospital. Round three is finished. We came home on Tuesday.
Sweet Lukey sleeping

Playtime for Lukey

Now for the sad news. The tumor has not come away from the portal vessel. The radiologist that did the Ultrasound didn't seem to think it would ever come away from the vessel. On Thursday we went to the clinic and met with his oncologist. We are now facing a probable liver transplant. She wants to try one more round of intense chemotherapy. It would be the Cisplatin at an increased dose and another one that right now I can't remember the name of. The Cisplatin is what has caused the hearing loss, so it is likely he will lose more with an intense round of chemo. The new drug can cause damage to the heart, so he will have an Echo cardiogram and several ultrasounds of the heart to keep an eye on it. I have to admit I am scared. I just don't know how much his little body can take. If it doesn't move the tumor away from the vessel he will have to have the transplant. The question is...do we put him through the chemo if he will end up having to have a transplant anyways? I don't want him to lose anymore hearing. I just want my little boy healed. I know that when it looks really bleak is when God steps in and performs a miracle. It looks so bleak to me right now, I am struggling to stay composed. If he does need the transplant, both Ben and I will be tested to be a possible donor. If we go ahead with one more round of aggressive chemo, we will check in to the hospital on Tuesday. I know God is in control of every situation. We have dedicated Luke to the Lord, and trust Him with everything. We need to pray that the tumor pulls away from the vessel. That is so important right now. Please join us in prayer that the tumor pulls away..it has to pull away. Please pray for strength....I am grasping at straws here. We need strength.
Levi and I are both sick. It has been some kind of week. He went to the Dr. and is now on breathing treatments. I went to the Dr. and found out I have a virus somewhat like chicken pox, but different. I thought I had a rash, but I guess not. I don't know where I could have picked that up. No one else got it though and it is almost gone now. We need to stay healthy. Ben has been the most wonderful man in the world. He amazes me all the time. Together we will come through this, we just need the strength to get there. Intercessory prayer warriors needed. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Please know that there are many of us that you have never met praying for baby Luke, as well as the whole family. Baby Luke was added to the "pray for healing" list on my blog. God bless you and give you strength.

The Rowell Bunch said...

Jen, We are praying in JESUS NAME! That God has his way his will be done! We dont know you but We love your family and baby Luke is in our daily prayers!

The Rowell Bunch

Monica Hassas said...

Jen, My heart is heavy after reading your post, but I know God IS still faithful and He IS still the miracle worker! I will be sure to go to prayer before my head hits my pillow tonight. Please give me a call when you can. Love you.

Moni