Saturday, October 11, 2008

Back to the Hospital

This morning we were scheduled for a CT scan, and then an unscheduled fever showed up. Luke had been running a slight fever for a day or two. This morning (early) his temp went to 100.9. Once his temp reaches 100.4 we need to take him to the ER. So I called the Dr. and she said to take him to the ER and go ahead and get the CT scan as well. First of all they told us to arrive at the hospital at 7:00 am, but no one even got there to help us until a quarter to 8...GRRRRR!! Then they said to just go to the ER and they would do the CT scan through the ER. Okay so we finally get in the ER and they start on the blood work and vitals and all that. Turns out he is severely neutropenic. His ANC was 69. On Monday it was 1100. 500 is considered very low. So on go the masks and pretty much a quarantine type situation. The CT scan is a whole other story. How do I begin this nightmare story? How many times can I say....it is very hard to start an IV on my child? It is very hard...it is very hard. I had to pin him down while the nurse blew out his first vein and couldn't get it in the second one. Why don't people listen? They said there was no way they could do it. So now this is the kicker...the nurse in the ER used to work in Oncology and said she would put the contrast through his central line no problem. It worked just fine. All that torture for nothing. Then the scan...the tech was not a nice lady. She was in a big ol' hurry and was irritated that he was moving around. I'm venting this so it will leave my mind forever. To make a long story short (too late)...the CT scan came out blurry and he will have to have an US on Monday and possibly another CT scan. Pray for my sanity.

Anyways, Luke is on a couple different antibiotics and Neupogen to boost his white blood cells. He is supposed to have his last chemo on Monday, but they won't give it until his WBC count comes back up. I really don't know when we will get to go home. In all this...God is good and faithful. I thank God for every good day and every bad day. My God is faithful, I call him Faithful, he is so faithful to me....My God's a healer, I call him healer, he is a healer to me!!!

3 comments:

Dawnita said...

Hi Jen,

I ran across your blog from Monica's and I have been keeping myself updated on your family. You have been in my thoughts and prayers everyday. My son is 2 years old, and I know I don't have the strength to endure what you are so bravely facing. May God give you strength daily, and may you find his peace in your trial. His will be done!
Love
~Dawnita

Monica Hassas said...

Jen, We're still praying for Luke for a completely healing/recovery as well as praying for you and Ben for peace throughout this storm. Love ya.
Moni

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Jen, every time I see that Luke's progress has been a struggle I just cry for you and hurt with you. I cant help it, my heart goes out to you and baby Luke. I want you to know no matter how bleak it may seem, and it dosent get much bleaker when you have to endure seeing your child suffer, God has a plan. I know it seems like God please make this all stop and go away He knows the cost of your every tear and your every heartache. I am praying for you Jen as I do daily. My heart just cant help breaking with yours. But I know God will bring glory out of all of this. For in due season we shall reap if we faint not. Keep reading His word and praying His word over Luke. IT SHALL NOT COME BACK VOID!! Victory is just around the corner. The enemy wants you to fear. God says let every man be a liar. God says fear NO MAN or what man can do to you. God has the FINAL SAY!! I love you.. GOD loves you and He LOVES LUKE.. TRUST HIS PLAN... Remember, someone is praying 4 u!! Many someones!!