Thursday, August 28, 2008

Luke Update

Today we had a couple of appointments to go to which pretty much took most of the day. First we went to the Children's Clinic to get his blood counts checked and then to the hospital for a hearing test. Luke has had a really great day today. The results of his blood tests were good. His wbc count was around 400 on Monday. Today it was over 4,ooo. This is really great news because it means I don't have to give him any more shots for a while and now he is no longer neutropenic. All of his other counts look really good also. They had originally told us that he would have to receive blood transfusions throughout chemo, but he has not had to have one in quite a while. We saw one of the other oncologists today, so I was interested to hear what she felt while examining him. She also could not feel the tumor. Luke just lay there, calm and smiling as if he already knows that tumor is gone. We left the office feeling very encouraged.

Then we were off to the hospital for a hearing test. The Cisplatin drug can cause hearing loss, so they will check him after each round of chemo. His hearing test came back perfect. Absolutely no hearing loss in any frequency in either ear. Praise God! Luke has been eating very well and I have not had to give him any anti-nausea medicine today. We are going to enjoy the weekend and then check into the hospital on Monday for his next round of chemo. If he is eating well and keeping food down, we will be able to go home after his next two injections on Wednesday. Then it will just be a matter of a few weeks before they do another ct scan to check the tumor. We believe the report of the Lord!

My very dear friend Moby is flying in on Saturday to help us out for a while. I am so relieved to know that she will be here. Levi adores her and we count ourselves blessed to have her and Rengas as our friends. I may have mentioned earlier that we had hired a nanny to help care for Levi while we were at the hospital and such. Well....she left one day and never came back. She would not even return our calls. We were in quite a bind. So I am ready to roll out the red carpet for Moby. I also want to send out a special thanks to the PeteRites. I think I spelled that correctly. These are Ben's friends from school in Sri Lanka. They have been traveling from Maryland to bring us dinners. Thanks so much! I had the best salmon I have ever had in my entire life the other night. I MUST get the recipe!!! Thank you to everyone who has posted us on your blog and spread the news about Luke. We are incredibly grateful. We ask for continued prayer throughout this next round of chemo and then for the ct scans that will be coming up. To God be the Glory for the things He has done!!

2 comments:

The Rowell Bunch said...

Hello Sis Jen,

Actually I was talking to my dads wife about you and what a small world she said she use to work with you at Bro. Nelsons Daycare. Tom Pina is my dad and MaryJo is his wife. Bishop Nelson and Pastor Rodney are the ones who went and prayed for Jonathan during his sickness. EVPC is my home church. You and your family are in our families prayers! I am glad to see all is going good with Baby Luke! He is so gorgeous and that smile breathtaking!

Love,

The Rowell Bunch

Kari Sue said...

Hey Jen,
I just wanted to let you know we are so happy that the baby is feeling better. He is definalty in our prayers. He is so precious. Wish I could be there to help you out. I miss you guys so much. Let us know if we can do anything to help you guys. Love you guys, Kari and Dan Hammers