Sunday, August 17, 2008

Homecoming

Well we were finally able to go home. They told us to try to get back to a normal routine. I have a hard time thinking in the old "normal" way. We are embracing a new kind of normal. I think Luke is doing much better at home. He is in familiar surroundings and seems to be more comfortable. He is still having trouble sleeping at night. He will sleep if he is being held, but as soon as he is put down he screams. I just want to hold him tight forever, but I would never get any sleep. Luke is gradually starting to take in more food. He threw up again today, but has been doing better. We have a home health nurse that comes to the house to help me with the dressing changes and flushing the line of the catheter. It's weird to me to have medical supplies in the house and it being necessary to use them. My brain is still trying to adjust. We all took a walk to the park today to get some fresh air and let Levi play for awhile. Luke enjoyed the walk, he was looking all around and enjoying the motion of the stroller.
Tomorrow we go for another session of chemotherapy. This one can be done in the office, so hopefully all will go well and we will be back at home after the appointment. Then in seven more days he will have another. We are keeping a bag packed in the car for unforeseen delays. We had to hire a nanny to care for Levi in our absence. This is all part of our new normal. I catch myself looking back sometimes and thinking how simple life was before. I think about all the silly things that stressed me out or made me upset. Then I shake myself and look forward to the miracles that God is going to perform in Luke's life. We are so blessed, and take much for granted. All we can do right now is cross one hurdle at a time. I pray for the strength to make it over the next one. About every couple of days, I lose it and I sob uncontrollably. It can feel like too much and I can't stand to see my baby suffer. But once I have it out I feel a renewed strength and determination. Luke will be healed.
Daddy and Luke. His smile makes my day!

Levi loves his baby brother, but has a hard time understanding about the germs and the bobo's on his tummy.
At the park. Luke needed some fresh air and Levi definitely needed to run and jump and play.

3 comments:

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Jen, I just want you to know we are praying for you and Luke. When I read your blog this morning to check on you I coulnt help the tears from falling when I think about all you are going through.
My heart goes out to you and I wish I could reach across the states and just put my arms around you and tell you how much I love you and pray with you. I pray God will send an angel of comfort to wrap God's arms around you and give you the peace that passeth all understanding. I could not imagine your pain in this storm. Just try and hold on to His word. Weeping only lasts for a night and Joy is coming. This to shall pass. God has not brought you this far to leave you here. He has a plan. Read His word every chance you get. You will draw strength from it. Read it to Luke it will bring the presence of peace to him. I love you and I am praying for you all, along with my church family.
Ill check in with you later. Much Love and many Prayers, Noel

Karen J. Hopper said...

Please know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Monica is a good friend of my daughter. We continue to hold you all in prayer.

Jolene Harris said...

Jen, Sis Noel led me to you through her blog. I want you to know that we are praying for little Luke and your family. We have prayer meeting tonight at church and I will put Luke's name on the prayer list.

I hope you don't mind but I copied a picture of him off of your blog and pasted it to my blog and put up a prayer request for him as well. The more we can get praying for him the better. Love in Christ
Jolene Mendoza