Friday, January 30, 2009

Letter to my son, Luke --on your 1st Birthday


You're a miracle and we celebrate your life today with love and thanksgiving. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LUKEY!

You have battled all odds and you're certainly my hero. At your birth, there were concerns about your spine and some doctors thought you had abnormalities due to a cyst they discovered. And then 6 months ago, they said you have a 75% chance of living, when you were diagnosed with a cancer that has odds of being dx 1:1 million children your age group. But you kept fighting. When you were diagnosed, your mummy and I wanted to take your cancer and pain away from you and wanted to trade places with you. But God amazed us with His grace and gave you strength and courage to fight, and fight you did!

You endured pain and suffering in your first year, that us adults may find it hard to take it in a whole life. And all with your sweet smile. I don't know whether I could have passed the year of trials and tribulations without your strength and courage. Whenever I wanted to cry and hide myself from everything, God showed me your strength and told me that He was in control. When daddy and mummy cried out to God, He gave us peace and reminded us that you're His own. You're so very special and everything about you is a testimony of God's faithfulness, love, healing, promise, and grace.
Your life has taught me lessons that may have taken me a lifetime to learn. Your journey has brought us contact with people, that only heaven could have made it possible. Although you have some short term and long-term scars from this battle, I know that our God is more than enough to live the life according to His purpose. Even though your journey continues, we look to the future with promise and much hope... God has brought you this far and deep, has a purpose for you. You certainly have positively impacted my life and I know the lives of many, and that's just the beginning. I treasure you and honor God for allowing this day, a year ago, a reality.
Love and God's Blessings,
Your everloving, Daddy
Special Note:
On behalf of Jen, Levi, and Luke, I thank all our family and friends who came alongside and lent a hand in Luke's journey and said yes to the higher calling. A special THANK YOU to Michael, my brother-in-law, Ellen and lil Emy Lou for teaching me the human version of love and sacrifice. There's no greater love than sacrificing your life so that someone else can live. This brings home what Jesus did for me. Thank to our church, pastor, and our the church family here in Ashburn and all over the states and the world -- we love you and thank God for you. Thank you to Belmont Greene community for being great neighbors.

8 comments:

Michael 'Badge' Badger said...

Happy Birthday Lukey, you are my hero and my inspiration...

Love always,

Uncle Michael

Pearl & Terry said...

Happy Birthday darling Lukey, you are our precious gift from God.

Love you always,

Nana Pearley & Papa Terrence

Chandra said...

Luke, I know you had a rough year, but you made it! I read your mom's blog and prayed for you out in California. Have a Happy Birthday!!

lanka_dez said...

Dear Lukey, although we have not met you yet, we have and continue to keep you in our prayers. You are precious. You have touched our lives and a lot more, just within a few months. Can't wait to see what God has in store for your future. I bet its going to be awesome. Happy Birthday Lukey!
Love,
Unncle Dez, Aunt Nik, Anissa and Aidan

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Happy Birthday Luke. I have never met you in person, but I love you with a special love God has placed in my heart for you. Your journey has blessed my prayer life and inspired my faith. Your victory of health has proven God performs miracles today.. I love you and continue to thank God for allowing me to share in this very special miracle of your life. You are going to to do great things for God one day. God has blessed you with very special parents who had the courage to fight this spiritual battle. Cancer has bowed under the MIGHTY HAND OF JESUS!! May your testimony live through generations to come. Love Sis Noel

The Rowell Bunch said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!!! You have put a place in my heart for you! Your a speacial boy and may you enjoy smashing many more birthday cakes. Thank you Jesus for 1 Year!

Love The Rowell Bunch!

Susana Eshleman said...

Happy Birthday Lukey!!! You truly are a most amazing gift from God!

Much love from the Eshlemans

Tony~Hatmaker said...

Happy Birthday Lukey!! What an awesome day to celebrate! You have fought an amazing battle, and praise be to God, you are defeating this monster! I pray daily for you, mommy, daddy and Levi! I hope to one day very soon meet you and give you the biggest high five and hug! You are an amazing little guy and your smile makes me appreciate life more than ever! The battle is won sayeth the Lord! Love you little buddy! The Hatmaker's