Monday, November 24, 2008

What a Morning!

We got a call at 3:30 this morning. "We have a liver." I happened to be up feeding Luke at the time. I heard the phone ring and I immediately knew what it was for. I was frozen in my chair. "I'm not ready, Lord". Ben reached the phone, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. He opened the door to Luke's room and looked at me. They have a liver, he said. I immediately stopped feeding Luke because I knew he needed to have an empty stomach for surgery. We kicked into overdrive. Luckily we have a friend staying with us this week. We woke Gilian out of a deep sleep. "We have to go to the hospital". I started packing and getting everything together. I wanted to go in and just hug Levi and say I'm sorry I won't be here when you wake up.
Just as Ben was taking everything to the car, the phone rang again. They said don't leave just yet, there has been a small mistake. We were not the primary recipients of the liver, we were the back-up to the primary recipient. They said if the primary refused the liver for whatever reason, then it would go to Luke. Well...they wanted the liver. We now know that we are next up for a matching liver. Ben wanted me to go back to bed and try to get some sleep. I could not fall back to sleep. My mind was going 100 miles a minute.
It did give me a heads up though. I am spending the day getting all our things in order for a long hospital stay. The laundry is done, the carpets are vacuumed (thanks to Gilian), and the stack of bills and things on my desk are almost gone. Next time they call....I will be physically ready..although not emotionally.
We have started a fund for Luke called Luke's Hope. You have probably seen it on the sidebar. I honestly don't know how people without insurance can make it through these types of things, because even with insurance it is a struggle. We will be doing some fundraising things in the future. Thank you to my brother for doing his Benefit Boot Camp and raising money for Luke's Hope. Thank you to all you who have given to Luke's Hope. We are so very, very thankful. Luke and so many other children are fighting cancer everyday. Some have been fighting for years. These kids are so brave and inspiring. Watching them will make your worse day seem like a walk in the clouds. I cannot complain about anything. We appreciate all the prayer and support we have received. Thank you all so much.

3 comments:

Dawnita said...

That is awesome news! I know in my heart in a few years from now this is going to be the most awesome testimony for you and your family of God's healing power.

Tony~Hatmaker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony~Hatmaker said...

AWESOME! You know Jen and Ben, I feel that the 3:30am call is God preparing you for that early morning BLESSING of a new liver. God is saying 'GET READY, GET READY, GET READY'!! My heart tells me that this phone call is going to happen very quickly and although you may not be emotionally prepared, but this is all a part of God's wonderful plan of a healing testimony to reach so many others, He is preparing you to bring a multitude of people to Praise Him and know that He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords!! Vern and I are praying for your emotional, physical and mental strength, we pray that God holds your little angel in His arms as he goes through the waiting process as well as the surgery, we know that Lukey's miracle healing is already in full force and it is just a matter of God's timing as to when this battle will be WON!! PTL!! Claim It, Speak It as if it has already happened! We miss you guys and love you, as always, share hugs with each other for us! EXPECTING MIRACLES!!!!!