Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Quick Update

A quick post to fill you all in on what we are up to. I'll include pictures in my next post, but tonite I am physically and mentally exhausted. I went to "Mom's Weekend" and had a great time. It was just what I needed, and what a place. Beautiful!! I met so many wonderful and strong women. It really meant a lot to talk to someone who has either been where I'm at, or is battling it right now. We shared stories and websites and belly danced WHOO hoo! Very relaxing...and everyone survived my one night away. Ben kept telling me that everything was great at home and to just relax and enjoy. The thing is, even if it wasn't going great..he would not have told me. He's just an amazing guy.
We went to the clinic and to Georgetown University Hospital on Tuesday. We went for Luke's transplant evaluation. So here's the deal. The tumor has gotten much smaller, but is still on the major vessels. These surgeons could remove the tumor no problem, but due to the location of it there is a high risk of spreading to other organs. I did not realize that because it is on the vessels, the vessels can carry the cancer cells all over his body. The recommendation is a total liver transplant. This will carry many lifetime challenges for Luke, but we believe it is the best decision. The Dr. said that many times they have done a resection, just to have the cancer come back less than a year later. It is much harder to have a transplant after having a resection. We will meet with the surgeons on Tuesday and Luke will go on a list for a liver. We are not sure how long we will have to wait, so meanwhile he has to start another round of chemo. I can't be a living donor because of the pregnancy and we found out that Ben can't because his blood type is B and Luke's is O. My brother has offered to give part of his liver, the offer just chokes me up. It is a gift of life, and just the offer means so much to us. The Dr's prefer to do an entire liver because partial liver transplants are trickier, but we don't want to wait for too long. It's something we really have to think and pray about.
Luke will be on autoimmune suppressants for the rest of his life, but be able to live an otherwise normal life. These Dr's don't candy coat anything for you. They just tell it like it is. If death is a risk...they say so. The Dr. told us several cases of the child dying, which didn't make me feel good, but they want to make sure the facts are known. I'm already scared, I don't need to know anything else. I struggle to make sense of all this. I don't know why God chose Lukey to go through this, but I do know that something awesome is going to come out of it. Job asked his wife if we are to accept only the good things from God and not the bad. He lost everything: family, livestock, his health and yet was still able to say "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord". I want to have that attitude.

7 comments:

Tony~Hatmaker said...

PRAISE THE LORD!! Jen I am so glad that you had a wonderful, relaxing night away, thank you Ben for taking care of home, you are truly a great Godly man!! Know that there is a multitude of people praying and believing for the MIRACLE that is already taking place in Lukey's little body. God we thank you for your healing power and we ask that your will be done. Amen!! We miss you guys and love you much. As always, share hugs for us!! Tony

Unknown said...

Hello Jen, Ben & Boys,

I greet you in the wonderful name of Jesus Christ. It was so refreshing to read about you and your family. Mimi is with great joy to talk about you, Ben and your precious boys and you and Ben have been a tremendous support to Mimi and I’m very grateful for your kindness and generosity. It is with great sadness to hear about your son but Jen, you have seen Mimi and our family go through a lot, but our God, Jesus Christ has been in the midst of every step and will see Luke’s and Mimi’s miracles unfold in our life time. As the Psalmist David said in the book of Psalm 18:2, “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Please give my greetings to Ben and your boys.

Mickal

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

As tears stream down my eyes today you are my hero. I only pray I would keep the spirit you have throughout this whole ordeal. You are right something great is about to happen. God has Luke in His Hands. Im glad to hear things are going pretty well. I will be praying for all the decisions you are faced with. God will help you Jen. You are not alone. I love you.. Noel

Jenale said...

Hey Sis. Jen!! I was so glad when I found your Blog! I just didnt know how I could contact you but you left me a comment and I realized.."Oh i can leave her a comment!" hahha.. I miss you soo much and when I heard about your little boy I kept you and your family in my prayers =D I hope everything is doing good for you guys! Yup im 21 now..time went so fast huh? It just seems like yesterday when you used to make sure I was the one outta trouble. I'm very honored that you are proud of me, you were honestly one of the people who made a huge impact in my life and I could never forget you! Ive always wondered how you were doing and hoping everything was okay..but We should definatly keep in contact!

Jenale

Pearl & Terry said...

Thank you Jesus for the Miracle you are performing in Lukey's little body & gving my son the blessing of a good wife to be his strength. We pray the Lord will guide you through all your decisions.Our thoughts are with you & the boys. We love you

Unknown said...

Thank you to everyone!
Thanks Tony for keeping us in your prayers and always leaving an encouraging word. It means so much to us. It was so good to hear from you Mickal. I was so excited to hear about Mimi's healing and I know God is going to restore her fully. You have all fought a long, hard battle and it is coming to an end.
Thank you Sis. Noel for partnering with us in faith and lots of prayer. Your posts inspire me and many a time have lifted my spirits when I was feeling down. Jenale you just keep on going for Jesus and you will never go wrong. Thank you to my in-laws Pearly and Terry for your kind words and prayers. Lukey is going to come through this. We are all going to come through this stronger. God bless you all. Love, Jen

Kari Sue said...

Jen, It was nice to hear you had a nice time on your night off. You are such a strong woman of God. You have such a sweet spirit. We just got out of a ladies conference and it was incredible but one of the speakers talked about taking authority and when I read your update I thought and begin to pray to take authority that Baby Luke is healed in Jesus Name. I believe it with my whole heart. I love you guys so much and miss you. Give hugs to Levi and Luke. Love ya, Kari