Friday, July 11, 2008

Whatsoever State I'm In

We have had the opportunity to live in 4 different states in the last 6 years. Seems like a lot huh? Yeah, I think so too. People are always asking me which state I liked the best. Well that's easy but, I'm not going to tell you just yet. There are positives and negatives to every place. Lets start with my native California. California is a wonderful state, topographically speaking. You can enjoy sun and sand, mountains and snow, desert heat, coastal fog, hot beaches, cold beaches, it has everything. California also has most of my family and a lot of my friends. Lets see..the downside of living in California would be the cost, the earthquakes, traffic, and the liberal craziness. Next is Louisiana. La is rich in history. I love the Antebellum homes and battle sites. The people are warm and welcoming. You've heard of southern hospitality? It's absolutely true. It is always green there and the beaches were very close. And of course the cuisine. Who can go to La and not have cafe au lait and beignets. If you are into fried food, then look no further. I also love the conservative nature of the South. I worked in the public schools there, and always heard teachers talking about GOD in school, especially after the hurricanes. Ben would say LSU football and chicken and sausage gumbo are greatly missed. We miss all our friends there as well. The downside of La would be the weather (hotter than..and humid), the uhhh..HURRICANES!!, mosquitoes and fire ants, and alligators (though tasty..they are menacing up close). Now onto Kansas. Kansas is also very historically significant. The Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, several battlefields and museums, and Dodge City (Gunsmoke). We lived in Overland Park which is just outside Kansas City. I loved how it was spread out. All the shopping and everything was close by. It was a very family friendly place and Ben worked at the Sprint campus just 5 minutes from the house. We had the most wonderful neighbors too, always looking out for each other. I miss all our friends in KS and Missouri too. The downside? Tornadoes (never saw one), arctic temperatures in the winter, flat land as far as the eye can see. Last, but not least Virginia. Talk about history. I can hardly wait to go to Mt. Vernon. D.C. is about 20 miles from us and full of things to see and do. The beaches are nice and close by. There really is a lot to do in and around Ashburn. Ben would say, Rugby and Cricket with the other Sri Lankans. But, I find myself singing this Veggie Tales song a lot. "I'm busy, busy, dreadfully busy, I'm much too busy for you". Do you see where I'm going with this? This is an extremely fast paced place. I can almost catch a glimpse of my neighbors as they speed into their garages and close the door. Haahahaa. It's not particularly family friendly here, but we keep our family friendly to everyone and we have made many wonderful friends here as well. To sum it all up we have learned and experienced so much in every state we have lived in. The culture has been drastically different in every state and we have grown because of our experiences. Not to mention the AWESOME churches and relationships formed. We have learned that in whatsoever state we are in, to be content. My favorite state? The state of contentment.

4 comments:

Christina Bousmaha said...

I loved this blog entry. You are so funny!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

lol.. Not sure if you remember me but hello!!!!! Its Noel. It was so nice to see you on Moni's blog. I loved your description of all the places God has brought you to. Sounds like all is well. God Bless ya..Love Sis Noel

Monica Hassas said...

I think it's time y'all just came home to California! LOL

That Crazy Brown Guy said...

in other words, it's a "state" of mind? :).. (Lame?.. i know..)